How to Care for Your Filler Treatment: A Postinjection Guide
It is important to learn how to care for the areas treated, and how to handle possible side effects. Read on to learn what you can do to alleviate discomfort and get ready to love the results!
What to expect:
People who receive filler treatments may experience irritation or complications, but the majority of the side effects that can occur are tolerable and manageable. It’s important to note that hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are not permanent treatments.
The most common side effects that people experience after an injection are as follows:
Steps to your best results:
- Apply cold compresses to injection site
- Reduce facial expressions/lip pursing for 48 hours
- Avoid sun exposure as long as bruising persists
- Avoid massaging the injection area unless noted otherwise
- Keep head elevated while sleeping
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 hours
- Stay hydrated
What to avoid:
- Rubbing and touching the treatment areas
- Applying lipstick, Vaseline, or other products (directly after)
- Consuming alcohol prior to your procedure
- To decrease your risk of bruising, avoid taking blood thinning medications one week prior to procedure, such as aspirin, warfarin, dipyridamole, clopidogrel, NSAIDs, fish oil, vitamin E supplements, St John’s wort, garlic tablets, ginkgo biloba and ginseng
Please alert our office of any of the symptoms you experience. Most side effects should go away in a few days, typically no more than a few weeks, but in the meantime, these are steps you can take to minimize the reactions.