What should I do to prepare for my treatment?
- The treatment area must be clean and make-up must be removed.
- Artificial tanning products must be discontinued one week prior to treatment.
- Skin can be tanned prior to treatment however, if the skin has a burn treatment will be postponed.
- Do not apply topical antibiotics, Retin-A, Renova, Tretnoin, Differin, Tazorac or Retinols for 3 days prior to treatment.
How does the treatment work?
- The tip of the pen holds a series of tiny surgical steel needles which pierce the skin. The depth is based on each patient’s specific skin condition. The needle cartridge is disposable, and the SkinPen®itself is designed to minimize the risk of contamination. Micro needling triggers the skin’s natural healing response, resulting in healthy, glowing skin.
What are the benefits to SkinPen?
- Improves sun spots, age spots, dull complexions, large pores, and sun damaged skin.
- Stimulates fibroblastic activity which aids in the tissue repair process; leading to collagen production. Collagen is a major component providing flexibility, firmness and a more even skin tone.
- Stimulates collagen to repair acne scarring, stretch marks and surgical scars
- Improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Does the SkinPen treatment hurt?
- A vibration can be felt with a mild tingling sensation
- A topical anesthetic numbing cream is used to control discomfort.
How long is the treatment?
- Treatment may last 1 hour; depending on the area being treated.
How many treatments are needed?
- Treatments are provided at regular intervals; typically every four weeks.
- Several treatments will be necessary to achieve optimal results. Depending on treatments desired results most patients require 3-6 treatments.
What should I expect after the treatment?
- Sun spots and age spots may darken.
- A temporary skin erythema (redness) may appear. This should disappear within 24-48 hours.
- Occasionally, petechiae (tiny round brown-purple spots due to bleeding under the skin) may occur and self resolves within 3-7 days.
- Overall skin improvements are gradual and will accelerate after each session.
Is SkinPen right for me?
- Unlike many other skin renewal options, micro needling is safe and effective for every skin color and type. It does not significantly affect the epidermis. When performed correctly by a trained clinician, there are is little risk of any side-effects such as burns, scarring, or hyperpigmentation or other discoloration.
SkinPen® micro needling offers another important advantage – post-procedure continuation. The procedure itself is part of a comprehensive system designed to produce maximum results and keep skin looking its best. The SkinMedica regimen includes a collection of skin care products formulated to provide all the essential nutrients skin requires for rapid and ongoing healing. Equally important, products contain nothing that could impede or reverse the healing process.